Monday, June 11, 2012

Achoo! Chomp!

Saturday June 2nd started off like any normal weekend day usually does. Coffee, breakfast, relaxing and trying to decide what to do with ourselves the rest of the weekend, didn't have any plans. We decided to go to the Taste of Louisville b/c we had never been to Louisville, and we had some friends there that we wanted to see, so we headed that way after Jerex's nap.

Jerex had been feeling a little under the weather - he had contracted his first little cold, sneezing and coughing and snotty nose - poor fella!  He had been fussy since Thursday May 31, that is when the cold really started to set in, despite April and my best efforts for germ control after Brock touched things! (Brock also had this cold which Jesse named the Missouri Typhoid - we all ended up getting it!).  I'd noticed that Jerex had been sneezing a lot and drooling a lot, I thought that the drool was probably b/c he was stuffy in the nose and couldn't breathe as good out of his nose so his mouth was open more than usual.

After we got home from Louisville, I was playing with Jerex and noticed that low and behold, he had a tooth poking through his bottom gums!! Not one but TWO!! Both bottom ones! Without warning there they were! He HAD been drooling quite a bit more than usual but that was our only real sign. We had been more concerned about monitoring his cold that the tooth totally snuck in on us! I haven't been able to successfully get a picture of the teeth but they were quite a surprise when we saw them. He loves chewing on things now more than ever.

Working on that tooth!
I've got a secret and it can bite you!
The drool is the only warning we had!
Some of the fussiness from what I thought was Jerex being sick with the cold could have been attributed to the tooth, I realize now in hindsight. Plus with the busy Memorial Day weekend, we were in and out and on the go and so if his gums were swollen we totally didn't see it.

I also realized during this whole experience that there are few things worse than having a sick baby. The feeling of helplessness is terrible and I would MUCH rather be sick than see my little baby suffer! We went to the doctor the following week since the cold hadn't cleared up and since he had a fever off and on, and she gave us some medicine for him, which since starting that he has been much better. The only thing right now that is still bothering him is the pesky cough!

At the doctor's office we got his 5 month stats - for his weight at least!
18 pounds, 8 oz!
Jerex 5 months

No comments:

Post a Comment